The attacker has been identified as a Syrian man who had been turned away from the Ansbach Open music festival
An attacker suspected to have blown himself up outside a music festival in the southern German city of Ansbach has been identifiedas a 27-year-old Syrian who had previously been denied asylum.
The blast on Sunday night reportedly took place outside a bar close to the Ansbach Open event, where an estimated 2,500 people were watching live music in a city square. The area is now under lockdown and the festival has been evacuated, the BBC reports.
In a press conference early Monday, Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Hermann said the Syrian man detonated an explosive device — and died of his injuries — after being turned away from the festival, the Associated Press reports.
“We don’t know if this man planned on suicide or if he had the intention of killing others,” Hermann said, adding that the Syrian suspect’s asylum request had been turned down a year ago, but he had been allowed to remain in Germany.
Reuters cites a police spokesman saying that aside from the bomber, who was killed, 12 people were injured in the blast, including three who are in serious condition.
According to German broadcaster Deutsche Welle, the explosion at Eugens Weinstube (Eugene’s Winebar) took place at around 10:00 p.m. local time. It quoted a spokesperson for Bavaria’s interior ministry as saying “We are assuming it was an intentional explosion.”